Sunday, February 28, 2010

Media Meditations #3: Transformers again?


Nouveau Michael Bay : Explosions !!!
Uploaded by CuberToy. - See more comedy videos.



Movies have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I knew I wanted to be a film major for sure when I was in my high school television production class and we screened the movie 1969 Dennis Hopper film "Easy Rider". The screening of the film was done by my teacher purposely when I told him that I was doing a paper on the "Summer of Love" and needed some insight on media during that year. It was my limbic brain that was captivated by the pristine beauty of the American landscape as well as the rock ballads used in the film combined with the editing technique implored in the film. All of the feeling and emotions that my limbic brain took in were able to set a standard of knowledge of what good film actually is.

The film itself was an outlook on how America looked at people with "long hair" and different ideologies that people were exploring at a time of radical change in addition to an insight on how they treated these different people. My limbic brain was able to take in the message of the film and see what this outlook on society was. It was a lot to take in but the feelings and emotion that came from the movie instilled a feeling realization to which I realized what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I knew that one day I would want to write a film that would mirror the impact of a select group on society. With this idea in mind as well as a score that might be able to compete with the beautiful rock licks similar to that of "Easy Rider" This movie inspired me and solely helped me to get where I am today.
Since I began studying film I developed a great knowledge of the subject and matter of film & cinematography. Not to sound pompous in any way but I have a high standard of film. To a certain degree I can be a great person to watch a movie with or the worst. So you can imagine my reaction when my roommate had Michael Bay's "Transformers" on... Being the somewhat cynical %&$-hole I am I tore the movie apart to the point where my roommate told me to go &*%$ myself and leave(I'm easy to live with, but don't watch bad movies around me).
The whole thing about Michael Bay movies is you get what you pay for. A few mind-numbing hours of cheap catch-phrase dialogue as well as giant explosions and Megan Fox( To which I am not complaining). The thing about M.Fox is the whole "beautiful people" media tool is always going to be able to get people into movie theaters. But other than the beautiful people tool used in his movies Michael Bay movies totally appeal to the reptilian brain. There is little amount of thinking that is required to figure out what is going on in these movies and little sophistication in any dialogue between the characters. Mostly we watch this film like cavemen look at their paintings and clap our hands in amusement to all the pretty colors. I get the attraction to go see films like this (special effects, Megan Fox, the character actor Shia Labeouf) but to no stretch of the imagination would I call this a good movie.
Now I hope I haven't totally ruined this movie for anyone because from time to time I like to turn my neocortex and limbic brain off and let my reptilian brain do all the work. Its the constant repetition tool used on his ridicules special effects that keep us in our seats the whole time. Things that go "BOOOOM, BAAAANNG, POOWW!!!" Will have people coming back to theaters provided we all don't get seizures. I hope my cynicism wasn't to unbearable and I'm sorry if this movie is a favorite to anyone who may read this... And a good day to all!

1 comment:

  1. GOOD m.m. here, Steve.

    Funny to read you juxtapose EASY RIDER and MEGAN FOX in the same blog post.

    More hyperlinks and EMBEDS, please!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete